Wednesday, September 8, 2010

What Are You Doing New Year's, New Year's Eve?

Shana Tova, y'all!

Today is Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish new year. I love Rosh Hashanah, not just because apples and honey are delicious, but also because it gives me a chance to make New Year's resolutions in the middle of the year. I know, I know, that's not a Jewish tradition. It's a me tradition. Besides, they also conveniently work out to be school year resolutions, which is usually much needed. Plus with the way my life has been going lately, promises I make to myself in January just may not be relevant in September.


I used to make my New Year's Resolutions really action-based. Lose five pounds. Sleep better. Keep up with your online classes. A few years ago, I switched to making them more attitude-based, and I think that's really helped me so far. Sure, it makes it really difficult to measure. But I kind of like that. I hate looking back and thinking I'm off track. Now, they tend to be half and half.

So here they are, my Rosh Hashanah/School Year's/NYC Resolutions:
1. Appreciate the city in which you live.
2. Appreciate the opportunity you have been given.
3. Appreciate the people with whom you surround yourself.
4. Don't get overwhelmed by your reading.
5. Keep in touch with your many long-distance loved ones.
6. Reach out to the people in NYC when you need them (and even when you don't).
7. Update your blog as close to daily as possible.
8. Remember why you're here. You were meant for this.
9. Create (and maintain) an allergy-prevention routine.
10. Get to know your suitemates. They seem pretty fabulous.
11. Immerse yourself in the NYC Deaf community.
12. Find productive ways to de-stress. Fit them in even when it's difficult.
13. Do your physical therapy. You deserve not to be in pain.
14. Drink more water.
15. Eat as healthfully as possible.
16. Don't stress out when you're not eating healthfully.
17. Watch your budget. Adjust when needed. Don't go crazy.
18. Always remember what (and who) is important.
19. Survive New York winter.
20. Embrace change.
21. Don't be afraid. You can do anything. You deserve to do anything.
22. Be the best damn Maid of Honor in the world.
23. Find a way to fit painting back into your life.
24. Don't be so hard on yourself.
25. Love as much and as well as you can.
26. Put positivity in. Get positivity back.

Anyone else setting goals for the new year? It's never too late :)

No comments:

Post a Comment