First of all, I need to apologize about my comment features. Apparently not only did I have the "approve every single comment whenever you feel like getting around to it" feature turned on, I also had it so that people couldn't leave comments without a Google ID. Now, I know MOST people have some kind of ID they can log in with, but in the interest of family who may be reading this and want to comment, I've turned it off. Hopefully there aren't any crazy lurkers afoot.
Next, I need to introduce some terminology. This weekend, I had what is called a "This Is Not A Village" moment. Backstory? My first trip to NYC, in the summer of 2008, I was with my sister visiting one of her friends. This friend ran into an old beau... in the middle of Times Square, on a Saturday night. Busiest city in the country, busiest time of the week, busiest spot in town. So for the entire walk back, pretty much all she could say was "THIS IS NOT A VILLAGE! THIS IS NEW YORK CITY!"
My "This Is Not A Village" moment was running into a friend from middle and high school in the stairwell of a friend of a friend's apartment building in Union Square. Lucky for me, I had a few hours to kill, and he had a comfy couch, a big screen TV and Trader Joe's peanut butter cups. It was great to catch up with him, but I still can't get over how surreal it was that we ran into each other that way. I knew he was moving to New York, but it never crossed my mind that I would run into him.
I'm curious about your "This Is Not A Village" moments. Have you ever bumped into someone in a place you never thought you'd see someone you know? Bonus points for Disney World stories.
Man, I wish I could remember their names, but we definitely ran into some friends of Ben's at Disney the time we went to Magic Kingdom (bonus pts!). My dad once went hiking in the mountains and ran into a friend from work there.
ReplyDelete1)My dad and I were driving back from a college visit to FSU summer before my senior year. We spontaneously decided to go to Animal Kingdom (like so spontaneously we had to cut off like 3 cars to get off on the exit). We ended up running into my best friend and her family who had planned a spontaneous trip from home.
ReplyDelete2) Campus crusade has a fall social every year called Barn Dance. This year, I ran into a friend who I haven't seen since high school graduation. She is involved at USF Crusade and her and a few friends randomly decided to attend our Barn Dance since they couldn't go to theirs. (Bonus point part: we were especially shocked to see each other because neither one of us went to church or really considered ourselves Christians in high school. So it was extra confusing why she was at my campus ministry's social)
I was in Thailand walking down the street when a man I'd worked with in WDC briefly called out to me. I wash shocked he remembered my name (I didn't remember his) must less recognized me. Crazy!
ReplyDelete- sara
Walter - that story is null and void since that Disney trip didn't happen. Just kidding. Were you there when I ran into Stefanie Leibowitz at Disney World like 14 times in one day?
ReplyDeleteKelly - you are TOTALLY winning the bonus point category right now! I don't know what the prize is though haha... and those are both fun stories :)
Sara - WOW Thailand?! That's crazy! Talk about a small world.