All Columbia University undergraduate students are required to take a physical education course, but they are also required to pass a swimming test. There are several theories about how this started (and why it still exists), but my favorite has something to do with the possibility of a British invasion.
No not THAT British Invasion!(Source: BlogCritics.com)
I mean an ACTUAL British attack on the United States, as in the revolutionary war. You see, Columbia administrators way back in the day needed an escape plan for their students in the event that the Red Coats took over the city.
I know, crazy hacked road sign in Texas, it's a scary thought
(Source - KCBD and Arbroath)
I know, crazy hacked road sign in Texas, it's a scary thought(Source - KCBD and Arbroath)
They wanted to ensure that should the British intrude on their hollowed halls, all of their Ivy League men could swim across the Hudson. That's right. Swim. Across. The Hudson. To New Jersey. One major was (and still is) exempt, however: engineers. Why? Because they could build a boat.
Pretty solid, as long as the Others don't destroy it before you reach Joisey.
(Source - Lost Hatch)
Pretty solid, as long as the Others don't destroy it before you reach Joisey.(Source - Lost Hatch)
So is it true? Who cares. It's great fun.
But the grad students are left to fend for themselves? Or do they sail away on the engineers' boat?
ReplyDeleteNot sure about the grad students. I guess they assume that our prestigious undergraduate institutions had similar antiquated rules, so we must be able to swim to have bachelor's degrees?
ReplyDeleteBut realistically, I'd totally just jump on the engineer's boat. Have you seen the Hudson? It's kinda yucky.