Thursday, September 9, 2010

Hooray for School! Part II

Why yes, I am only taking four classes and still taking two full posts to write about them. Thanks for asking. Here's the rest of them!

Language Development & Habituation: The Foundations

My first linguistics class! I'm still unsure how I feel about this one, other than that I'm excited to learn more about the subject. We don't focus on ASL linguistics or teaching language to any special populations, but the class is a foundation for those classes which we will take later. We also share this class with the Deaf Ed program.

Cognition & Learning
I'm taking this psychology class online. Unlike UF's online courses, there is no taped lecture for me to watch or optional class for me to attend. It's basically a distance learning course, so most of the people in my class don't even live in NYC. What on earth do you do in a class that doesn't have a lecture? You read. A lot. You read textbooks, articles, and lecture notes. It seems ridiculous to pay the amount I pay in tuition to just read a book and not actually have someone lecturing, which is why the other people in my program have chosen to take the in-person option for this class, which meets on Monday nights.

So why on earth have I chosen to pay full tuition to read lecture notes instead of just taking the class like a normal human being? First, some background info: TC's classes started on a Wednesday, so no Monday or Tuesday classes. These missed dates are made up for during Thanksgiving, when Wed/Thurs/Fri classes are all canceled. HOWEVER, the second week of classes was Labor Day, so STILL no Monday classes. That's right, Monday classes will not meet for the first time until the third week of school. So how is TC making up for this? Fall semester ends on Monday, Dec 20th. Since I have yet to meet a single person with Friday classes, classes for most other people end on Thursday, Dec 16th. That's a whole four days earlier, folks.

Yep. That's my reason. It is not a good one. But traditionally, the weekend before Christmas is very important to my family. We lost my cousin to Hodgkin's Lymphoma on December 19th, 2005. Since then, we have spent the days surrounding Dec 19th celebrating his life and legacy, which is the love that our family shares. I don't know about you, but I don't want to spend the five year anniversary of his passing writing a final paper. Online class it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment