Friday, August 10, 2012

Freeky Friday: Awesomely Bad


Freeky Friday



Oh hi, Freeks. I've missed you, you know. Today's topic:
What's your all-time favorite movie quote?
I've been searching my brain for the best quote of all time all damn day. Trying to think of something classic that Katharine Hepburn said that sums up why she's my hero. Itemizing princess quotes to find the one that best sums up the Disney Gospel. I even read some articles about Anchorman to refresh my memory about the movie that inspired me to quote movies for all time. But I kept coming back to this.

Picking this quote is up there with the most ridiculous decisions I've ever made in my life. I'm not going to tell you not to laugh. I am, however, going to warn you not to judge too quickly. Just let me explain.

My favorite movie quote comes from the worst movie of all time. If you have lived in blissful ignorance of The Room, I both envy and pity you. I suggest you head over to YouTube and enlighten yourselves. In the meantime, here's my favorite scene:



I first saw The Room when I was home from college one summer. Being constantly surrounded by movie buffs and connoisseurs of the awesomely bad, it was a sort of rite of passage for me to see the film. For those that don't know, The Room is Tommy Weiseau's disasterpiece about a weird ass man and the love of his life and some dude named Mark and also there's a kid and something about forks. Okay, I really don't know what The Room is about. The important thing is IT DOESN'T MATTER. It's awful. So awful. So deliciously awful it hurts.

After my second time seeing the movie (which, by that point, had been turned into a drinking game), I had all the big lines memorized. I didn't dare to mention them in front of my family, until I noticed my brother-in-law, a full-blown nerd and no stranger to the world of Internet sensations, quoting the movie as well. In front of all of my cousins, we started talking about the horrors and wonders of The Room. He confessed that he had never seen it, but he knew all the big lines from YouTube and message boards. After a few "YOU'RE TEARING ME APART, LISA"s and some "I DID NAAAAHT"s, we decided to enlighten the rest of the cousins.

Keep in mind that at this point it's about 2 a.m., we're all drinking, and we are naturally giggly and goofy when we are together even before alcohol. Put yourself in that state and spend some time YouTubing. By the time we got to the above clip, we were hunched over in laughter. For the rest of the weekend, every other sentence seemed to start with "oh hi" and end with "you know".

The best part of all of this? Since the character's name is Mark, we started associating the line "Oh hi, Mark" with the wonderful moments we constantly experience when our Mark asserts his presence and influence in our lives. Just how this ridiculous quote became something beautiful is beyond me, but I think that's what my family does best - turn something silly into something wonderful. When you're driving down the highway after a rough day at work, and 311 comes on. Oh hi, Mark. When you had a rough flight home, but a soldier returning home reminds you that family is more important than anything. Oh hi, Mark. When you're with your cousins, singing your heart out, celebrating the marriage of your sister, and a gust of wind blows through your hair. Oh hi, Mark.

That's right. My favorite movie quote of all time comes from the worst movie of all time. And I'm not at all ashamed of that. What's that? You still don't believe me? YOU'RE TEARING ME APART, FREEKS! justkiddingiloveyou.

In case you forgot, anyone can get Freeky on Fridays! You can participate in three different ways:
  • Write a blog post using the badge html above, then comment on my post with a link to your post
  • Tweet your answer using the tag #FreekyFriday
  • "Like" the  Freekware Facebook page, then comment on there with your answer
Every time you post, tweet or comment in the month of August, you'll automatically be entered to win some tasty treats and a contribution to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in your name. Keep those posts coming!

Come on back next Friday, August 17th, and riddle me this:

Have you ever experienced a random act of kindness from a stranger? Or gone out of your way for someone you didn't know? Tell us about it!




1 comment:

  1. Oh, hi Mark. You're right: it is the worst film of all time.

    http://okietwang.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete