Friday, July 20, 2012

Freeky Friday: Well-Rounded




Freeky Friday



Sorry about the delay, Freeks! Here's today's Freeky Friday topic:
How do you stay healthy?
In a word? Bananas.


Long-term readers may recall a series I attempted to write about losing weight, which ended horribly with a heartfelt confession about the dangers of obsessing over the number on the scale. Since then, you may have noticed, I haven't really said anything about health at all on this blog... or anywhere in life, for that matter. In fact, I kind of revolted against eating right and exercising and put on quite of few pounds since my pre-bridesmaid weight loss. I blamed it on the stress of student teaching - which probably is to blame for at least part of it - and avoided scales and tight clothes for about 6 months. And then I graduated... and took a long hard look in the mirror.

After over a year of not looking, I stepped on the scale. I had gained 25 pounds in about a year.

Haphazardly trying to eat less and exercise more resulted in me feeling like crap and not losing an ounce. I need monitoring - I need mindfulness. But to calorie count again after what happened last year? That seemed like a really stupid decision.

And then I found out that my cousins had joined Weight Watchers with amazing results (shout out to Jen, my WW inspiration and freeking birthday princess!). I've always had my eye on WW, never wanting to pay but fully supporting their philosophy. After a week in Orlando with the family, I decided to jump on the WW bandwagon. I had support (two cousins, my sister, and my brother-in-law are all doing it!), they were having a sale, and most of all, I was desperate.

I have been on WW for 2 weeks and am noticing a tremendous difference. First of all, I've lost almost 4 pounds and a few inches off my waist and thighs. But more than that, I feel AMAZING. My skin looks better. My hair feels softer. My nails are growing faster. I have more energy. I am more naturally positive and outgoing. Now how much of that is due to me looking good and therefore feeling less stressed out and how much of it is a direct result of the food? Who cares! The important thing is, it's working.

But to go into more detail (and to explain my earlier answer), there is one sole reason I think WW is working for me: Points make sense. Points are calculated using fat, carbs, fiber, and protein - no calories involved. Apart from the fact that the math is easier (26 points a day is a lot easier to wrap your head around than 1200 calories), I feel like I'm monitoring the right things. Low fat. Lean protein. More fruits and veggies (all fruits and most veggies are 0 points!). Less carbs. The carbs I do eat are high in fiber. This is the way human beings are supposed to eat.

When I was calorie counting, I always struggled with the fact that a banana, a bag of pretzels, and a glass of wine are roughly the same amount of calories. Shouldn't I be rewarded for eating whole, unprocessed, naturally delicious fruit and somewhat penalized for eating the sugary, nutrition-less, un-filling alcohol? It got to the point where I felt guilty about eating higher calorie fruits, like bananas or apples. Strictly calorie-counting diets reward you for eating "diet" food and pretty much nothing else. On Weight Watchers, my pour for a glass of wine would probably average around 6 points. A small bag of pretzels, roughly a serving, would be 3 or 4 points. And a banana? ZERO POINTS. HOORAY FOR FRUIT!


But beyond the fact that I can have all the gosh darn bananas I want, I chose to talk about WW today because it's keeping me mentally healthy. I can stick to this. It is working for me. I feel good about it. And I don't guilt trip myself every time I eat a banana. And if I start to guilt trip myself about food, I have a huge support system of other point-aware people to turn to. And that's a pretty healthy place to be in.

How do you stay healthy?
In case you forgot, anyone can get Freeky on Fridays! You can participate in three different ways:
  • Write a blog post using the badge html above, then comment on my post with a link to your post
  • Tweet your answer using the tag #FreekyFriday
  • "Like" the  Freekware Facebook page, then comment on there with your answer
Every time you post, tweet or comment in the month of July, you'll automatically be entered to win some tasty treats and a contribution to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in your name. There's still one more Friday left in July, so you could have plenty of chances to win!


Come on back next Friday, July 27th, and answer this prompt:

Tell us a funny story! It can be about anything - entertain us!




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your candor in this and the previous post. You make an excellent point about the difference between calorie counting and the new WW point system, which acknowledges the nutritional value of foods, calories aside. I love bananas and get defensive when people comment on the calories or sugar content. I'm glad you're finding more success and happiness on this new plan!!

    As for me, my 'big picture' approach to health is here, and focuses on eating, sleeping, moving, and enjoying life: http://dareyouto.blogspot.com/2012/07/stay-healthy.html

    One thing you reminded me that I neglected to mention in my own post is the importance of a support system of like-minded or at least understanding individuals who will support (rather than undermine and challenge) your goals to become and remain healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Madam, I love your courage and honesty. Thank you for sharing!

    My approach is not so confessional: http://okietwang.blogspot.com/2012/07/freeky-friday-staying-healthy.html

    ReplyDelete