Friday, August 24, 2012

Freeky Friday: It's A Celebration!


Freeky Friday



Welcome back to another Freeky Friday! Today's topic:
How do you celebrate life?
Isn't life grand? Whenever I feel the need to thank the universe for another wonderful event or just remind myself that being alive is freeking awesome, there are a few things I like to do. The first is to surround myself with the people I care about - my friends here in NYC, my family back home, some very important people spread across the country. Whenever I'm with these people, I am constantly celebrating life. Just being around them reminds me that the world is a beautiful place. The best part is that even though I'm thousands of miles away from many of them, the Internet, cell phones, and video chatting have made everyone instantly accessible. Whether I'm happy and want to share or bummed and need a pick-me-up, these people are always there.

The second way I celebrate life is a bit more introverted. I walk.

Sometimes I just walk to the park and around in a circle and back home. Sometimes I'll take the extra time to walk two or three miles to a destination instead of taking the subway. Lately I've been enjoying finding new routes through Central Park to get home from the many staples of my life that are still on the west side, even though I now live pretty far east. And some days, like today, a long walk is what I need to clear my head and remind myself that life is brief, and its up to us to make our significant in some way. Today I walked from my school in Brooklyn Heights across the Brooklyn Bridge and into Manhattan. I was pretty grumpy when I left Brooklyn (being a grown-up is hard), but by the time I crossed the bridge, I had a whole new attitude. Something about seeing the entire Manhattan skyline, the flow of the rivers on either side of me, the glimmer of the Statue of Liberty in the distance reminded me how important it is to appreciate every breath we take. So instead of taking the subway home, watching Doctor Who, and passing out early, I chose to keep walking up Lafayette to Union Square for the Gotham Gators kickoff party with some friends. I probably walked about 4 miles today, totally spontaneously, and then met up with some of my favorite people. And life was celebrated.

How do you celebrate life?

In case you forgot, anyone can get Freeky on Fridays! You can participate in three different ways:
  • Write a blog post using the badge html above, then comment on my post with a link to your post
  • Tweet your answer using the tag #FreekyFriday
  • "Like" the  Freekware Facebook page, then comment on there with your answer
Every time you post, tweet or comment in the month of August, you'll automatically be entered to win some tasty treats and a contribution to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in your name. You still have this week and next week until Freeky Friday says goodbye until next summer!

Come on back next Friday, August 31st, to help wrap up our summer with this topic:

What are your goals for the upcoming year?




2 comments:

  1. Brilliant, Ms. Jane. Writing such as this celebrates life, too. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's my post:
    http://t.co/CfRXYzWD

    ReplyDelete