Friday, July 22, 2011

Freeky Friday: Zee Feel Good Movie Of Zee Year

Freeky Friday




First of all, I will give you a cookie if you get the reference to the title of this post.
Second of all, welcome to another Freeky Friday! Today's topic:

What's your favorite feel good movie?

I. Love. Movies. My DVD collection is my most prized possession. The first thing I looked for on my dorm building's included cable package was the number of HBOs (5, in case you're wondering). I watch Instant Netflix like it's my job, and I probably get a disc in the mail every week or so. Like music, I believe movies have the power to change any mood.

So naturally, this topic is nearly impossible for me. So I've decided to twist it a little bit. My favorite feel-good movies are Disney movies, hands down. But most of them make me cry, in some way or another, and lately, I've been incapable of watching love stories. So what on early could possibly fit this bill? I give you my list of Underappreciated, Non-Romantic Disney Movies, aka My Favorite Feel Good Movies. Yes, I own all of these.




Sometimes I feel like Monsters, Inc. is the awkward stepchild of the Pixar family. Most people rave about Toy Story and complain about Cars, but when Monsters, Inc. comes up, they just kind of brush it off. "It was okay." NO it most certainly was not okay! It's about changing a monster into a kind, gentle soul (like another one of my favorite Disney movies) and learning that laughter is the best medicine. Also, there's a giant fluffy turquoise dude. What's wrong with you people?!? RESPECT.



I'm kind of addicted to Arthurian legend right now, and no matter how many episodes of BBC's Merlin I watch, I can't help but laugh when I think that this:


is one day going to turn into this:


I love movies that are about beating the odds. I also love movies about magic. But I really, really love owls, especially goofy smart-ass ones.



A lot of the Disney Gospel is about following your dreams and living up to your potential, but no movie really shows this as clearly as Meet the Robinsons. It's endearing and heartwarming with quite a bit of comic relief, but what really gets me about this movie is the message: Keep Moving Forward. I need to be reminded of that a lot.



It's a Disney movie. About dogs (and a cat). Starring Billy Joel. Set in New York City. Need I say more?



I love all things Alice. I threw my sister a Mad Tea Party Bridal Shower. I've read the book dozens of times. And I've probably seen every film adaptation of it - even the ones that disappointed me or really creeped me out. But above all, I love Disney's Alice. She's innocent and young, trapped in a crazy awesome, slightly terrifying world, just trying to make her way home. Aren't we all?

Two movies didn't make the cut because I feel they are excluded by one of my two criteria, but I feel they deserve an honorable mention. The Incredibles is a wonderful, family-oriented fable about using your talents and being awesome (but it's hardly underappreciated). Hercules is my favorite underappreciated Disney movie, but it is definitely a love story - but Baby Pegasus!


What about you? What's your favorite feel good movie?

Remember, anyone can get Freeky on Fridays! You can participate in three different ways:
  • Write a blog post using the badge html above, then comment on my post with a link to your post
  • Tweet your answer using the tag #FreekyFriday
  • "Like" the  Freekware Facebook page, then comment on there with your answer
Every time you post, tweet or comment in the month of July, you'll be entered to win some Peanut Butter S'mores Bites and a contribution to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in your name. There are two Fridays left in July, so if you blog, tweet, and comment every remaining week, you'll be entered six times!

Be sure to come back next Friday, July 29th:

Part of positivity is about not taking yourself too seriously. Tell us an embarrassing story about yourself!


4 comments:

  1. I totally cried in Monsters Inc! haha. here is my post! http://emilyjsimpson.wordpress.com/2011/07/22/thank-you-dwayne-but-im-no-lady-im-a-duck/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agreeeee!! My answer is going to be quite similar, as I was planning on answering with "Any Disney movie!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now I've created mine...
    http://thesigninglife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, movies! http://swimlaroma.blogspot.com/2011/07/freeky-movies.html

    ReplyDelete