Music has been a big part of Freekware since the beginning, so I'm proud to say that my positivity playlists tend to be somewhat of a roll call of "Freekware Anthems," reminding me of the unity and love that surrounds me. You know what they say, the best way to spread
Christmas cheer the soul is singing loud for all to hear!
Jay Sean featuring Lil Wayne - Down
This song came out (or at least made it to Gainesville) at the beginning of my last year of college, and it kind of became the anthem for senior year. It was an upbeat, hip-hoppy tune featuring a rap interlude by my absolute favorite, Lil Wayne (yes, I love Weezy, and I am not ashamed). Last year when I was considering positive, possibly romantic dance songs to request at
my sister's wedding, this one was a no-brainer. On the big day, I noticed the videographers approaching me as the Weezy portion of the song approached. I guess Julia knew I was going to rap every word (because I am the Maid of Honor and I can do what I damn well please, thank you very much). About 1/3 into the rap, my cousin Shannon hopped across the dance floor to join in my sing-a-long. It was amazing. If I wasn't in love with this song before, I certainly am now.
Freeking awesome lyrics: You won't be lonely, even if the sky is falling down.
Weezer - Pork and Beans
I once spent a whole summer driving around the state of Florida blasting this song with my windows down
because my air conditioning was broken. Preach the Freekware gospel, Rivers. Do what you want. Be yourself. Who the hell cares anyway? Also, it's really fun to jump up and down and sing really loud to most Weezer songs, and this is no exception. Bonus points for being in the
Whip It trailer.
Freeking awesome lyrics: I'ma do the things that I wanna do / I ain't got a thing to prove to you
311 - It's Alright
I debated for a long time about which 311 song I should include, and I kept coming back to this one. It's the one song that I can listen to in absolutely any mood, from the times I need a pick-me-up to the times I am floating on cloud 9. Just a friendly reminder that wherever you are right now is where you're supposed to be now. It also happens to be one of the best songs I've ever heard live.
Freeking awesome lyrics: A song, one song, could end a war.
Are you getting Freeky this Friday? Tell us what your three favorite songs are! You can participate in three different ways:
http://silverscreeningroom.blogspot.com/2011/06/freeky-fridays-eine-kleine-joymusik.html
ReplyDeleteI cheated and made the whole playlist.
FREEKING AMAZING SELECTIONS! Love all three of these songs :) I also would like to add some of my favorite lyrics from the first song you mentioned:
ReplyDelete"So come on and fly with me as we make our great escape" because it reminds me of Aladdin, and also...
"And honestly, I'm down like the economy" because this recession is driving down real estate prices WHAAAAT UPP!!!
almost forgot to post my linK! http://emilyjsimpson.wordpress.com/2011/06/17/shut-off-your-computer-and-dance/
ReplyDeleteI am loving this whole concept - the blog, the clothing line, the meaning behind... so where can I get my hands on some of the products??
ReplyDelete