When I first
decided realized I was moving to New York, I asked all of my friends who were from, had lived in, or frequently visited the Tri-State Area for advice. Most people said simple things like "don't spend too much money" or "buy an air conditioner; the summers are brutal" (note to past self: they were right). But one guy gave me something a little deeper: "Just remember that real life isn't Sex and the City." Huh. That's actually not bad advice, I thought to myself. It combines the simple lines I had gotten from everyone else and added an element of "don't feel bad about yourself if you don't have time to enjoy it, because no one does." I've tried to keep this in mind whenever I feel like I'm living in the library or dressing like a slob or totally broke.
But lately, I can't help but wonder... why can't my life be Sex and the City?
At it's core, Sex and the City is really just a show about a group of young professional women living in New York City, looking for love and having fun along the way. What part of that doesn't sound like my life? Okay, the young professional part, I'll give you that. Grad school is definitely a different lifestyle... one that there aren't too many shows about
because they would be really boring. But when I'm not in the library, I'm in the city. I'm single. I'm with my fabulous girlfriends. I'm writing a blog... which is like a column, only I don't get paid. I'm shopping. I'm schmoozing. I'm having a good time. Sure, the dresses I wear are cheaper and the bars I go to are a little less classy, but apart from that, there isn't a big fundamental difference.
So what part of this should I not be emulating? Maybe some better advice would have been, "Make your life as much like Sex and the City as you possibly can. Remember to look fabulous (when you have time) because you never know who is watching you walk by. Remember to have fun in this incredible city. Remember who is important above all the BS." Not a bad thing to keep in mind.
Ha! You said "Tri-State area." Also, great post :) We should all embrace the SATC girls in each of us!
ReplyDelete