This is my first summer in New York City, and while I am, of course, looking forward to visiting
my sister in The A, there are about a million and one things I want to do in NYC in the next few months! A few of my friends and I got together and organized an NYC Summer Bucket list to keep track of all of it. While most of these aren't firm plans yet, here are a few things on the list I'm really excited about.
I'm a total theatre geek, and I'm an old school theatre geek. What can I say? The Bard just speaks to me. I've wanted to see
Shakespeare in the Park since I was a little girl. This summer they'll be doing two plays I've never read, "Measure for Measure" and "All's Well That Ends Well." It's kind of an all day thing to get tickets & see the show, but it's totally free, and they cast the best of the best. It's a New York classic! And speaking of New York classics...
I've seen the Brooklyn Bridge from both sides - Brooklyn Heights and South Street Seaport in Manhattan - but I've never actually walked it. While there is something about walking across the East River that kind of worries me, it is supposed to be a totally magical experience. Plus, some of the best pizza in the world is on the other side of that bridge. That's worth crossing a body of water for.
As you can see from the photo above, I've already done a little bit of celebrity stalking. I went to the set of The Amazing Spider-Man twice - once to see a stunt scene being filmed in Harlem, and once to capture this lovely photo of Andrew Garfield and his parents in the Upper West Side (how precious!). There are
a bunch of movies & TV shows being filmed in NYC this summer, not to mention free concerts, talk show guests, and Broadway shows with stage doors to stand outside. One of the best parts about living in this city is all of the fabulous people you can hobnob with if you look hard enough.
Hi Ben Stiller! You are the first celebrity I've ever stalked!
(Photo by my friend Marla after we saw House of Blue Leaves, which was fabulous)
Of course, there are a ton of other things on the list, including a bunch of restaurants, outdoor film screenings, and museums to hide in when it's 100 degrees outside. But the best part of all of this is the people I'll be doing all of these things with. In undergrad, summers were a weird time. If I stayed in Gainesville, most of my friends went home. If I lived with my mom in South Florida, most of my friends were in Gainesville. I developed a habit of becoming nomadic in the summers; two years ago I traveled pretty much non-stop for two months! I'm really looking forward to staying in the city this summer and, for the first time ever, having all of my New York friends stay in the city too. It feels like we're finally growing up and this is becoming home. What more could I possibly ask for?
Are you getting freeky this Friday? Then tell us what you're most looking forward to this summer! You can participate three different ways:
The KC Explorer's Freeky Friday post is up!!!
ReplyDeletehttp://thekansascityexplorer.blogspot.com/2011/06/from-first-fridays-to-freeky-fridays.html
i blogged freeky friday! http://emilyjsimpson.wordpress.com/2011/06/10/hello-summer/
ReplyDeleteHappy Friday!
ReplyDeletehttp://swimlaroma.blogspot.com/2011/06/freeky-friday.html
This bucket list sounds awesome! Can't wait to read all about it :)
ReplyDeleteI wish I could have some Brooklyn pizza :(
ReplyDelete