Sunday, February 27, 2011

Dinner Tonight: Chicken Fajita Wrap

Welcome to my newest feature! Dinner Tonight showcases the healthy and tasty entrees that I cook for myself. All Dinner Tonight meals are for one unless otherwise specified!



I know, I know, everything I make has "fajita" and "chicken" in the name. But tonight's dinner is quick, easy, and healthy. It took about 15-20 minutes to cook, clocked in at around 300 calories, and was DELICIOUS - you can't beat that! All the measurements aren't exact and your chopping doesn't have to be pretty. Just use whatever you have on hand and whatever brands are your favorites.

Ingredients:
  • 3-4 chicken breast tenderloins
  • Goya Mojo Criollo Marinade
  • 1/4 red bell pepper
  • 1/4 green bell pepper
  • 1/4 small yellow onion
  • 1/4 cup black beans (leftovers are great here!)
  • 6 grape tomatoes
  • 1 Trader Joe's Whole Grain Tortilla with Rolled Oats & Flax Seeds
Prep:
  • I keep my chicken tenders in pre-portioned baggies in the freezer, so I made sure to pop one of the baggies in the fridge last night so it would be good and defrosted by morning.
  • Add mojo marinade (you don't need a lot) to the baggie and put the chicken back in fridge. The longer it marinates, the better! Mine probably marinated for around 5 hours or so. Make sure to flip the baggie halfway so everything gets the good stuff.
Directions:
  • Slice peppers and onions to your liking. I half-ass julienned mine.
  • Coat a non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Add onions. After a minute or two, add bell peppers. Cook until tender. I added about a tablespoon of the mojo for the last 30 seconds or so - it really infused the flavor into the veggies! Remove veggies from pan and set aside.
  • While veggies are cooking, cut chicken into bite-sized pieces.
  • Recoat the skillet with cooking spray and add the chicken. Cook thoroughly. Since the pieces are small, they will cook quickly, so be ready!
  • While chicken is cooking, heat up your black beans, half or quarter your grape tomatoes (depending on their size), and heat up your tortilla so it won't crack on you.
  • Add all ingredients to tortilla, fold and enjoy!

Now my wrap promptly fell apart the second I took my first bite. Since I was alone, it was no big deal to eat it Ethiopian style - grab pieces of tortilla and scoop up the veggies. It's a LOT of filling for a small wrap, so be ready!

Now for the good stuff. This is calculating using the brands that I used, so you may need to adjust according to your brands.

Nutritional Facts:
Calories: 300
Total Fat: 3.3 g
Cholesterol: 45 mg
Sodium: 1360.5 mg
Potassium: 312.8 mg
Total Carbs: 44 g
Dietary Fiber: 11.8 g
Sugars: 20.3 g
Protein: 23.3 g
Vitamin A: 8%
Vitamin C: 135.3%
Calcium: 15.3%
Iron: 28%

The only thing on here that's really alarming is the sodium - that's the mojo. So if you're watching your sodium intake, I suggest making your own, less salty mojo or trying a different marinade.

If you're eating low-carb, this could easily be made into a black bean bowl by omitting the tortilla and bumping up the black beans. With 1/2 cup of black beans and no tortilla, this would be 222 calories.

What did YOU have for dinner tonight?

1 comment:

  1. Yum, healthy AND pretty! You're right, Mojo of your own is easy and YOU control salt AND sugar. Any marinade, as you said, imparts the flavor and the juiciness to the meat. So use what you love in juices and spices!

    ReplyDelete