Sunday, June 16, 2013

Things You See At Governor's Ball

First of all HI HELLO I'M BACK. It's summertime, which means I blog now. Blogs are cool. Okay, here we go.

Last weekend, I had the pleasure of attending my third music festival: the three-day extravaganza known as Governor's Ball.


JUST LOOK AT THAT LINEUP. I bought these tickets months ago, and I've been psyched for the concert ever since. Both my roommates were going, and we all had plenty of other friends to meet up with at the shows. And then something horrible happened.


For a few days leading up to the event, we knew it was going to be rainy on Friday night. We were prepared. We swapped our pre-planned tank tops and shorts for leggings and rain boots. What we didn't expect, though, was just how this was going to impact the rest of our weekend. I left Friday night after Of Monsters and Men with two of my friends, while another two stayed behind until they closed the island early due to really awful weather conditions (wind is dangerous, y'all!). With blisters on our heels, mud covering our rain boots, and cold wet clothes freezing us to the bone, we were overjoyed to see sunshine on the forecast for the next two days. But it slowly dawned on us what a night of rain meant to a dirt field: THREE DAYS OF MUD. All grossness aside, we made the best of it. And on Sunday, I decided to make a game out of it: Things You See At Governor's Ball. Think of it as an anthropological study of festival goers - their wardrobes, their behavior, their ridiculousness. Without further ado, I present to you my findings. After the jump!



The #1 Most Undeniable Thing You See At Governor's Ball: MUD


Dance Parties in the Mud/Rain 


The Harlem Target


Shoes That Have Reached Their Limit

Grumpy Faces


Happy Faces (and Fanny Packs!)


90s Throwback Shirts


Girls Sitting in Clumps on the Sparse Dry Areas


People Carrying Really Weird Things


Muddy Hunters


More of the RFK Bridge Than You Ever Intended To


Men Who Think Festivals Give Them An Excuse To Wear Denim Vests


Babies?!?


GINGERS! Loads of 'em.


People Using Household Items to Attract Their Friends' Attention


... While Also Shirtless and Accompanied By Stereotypically Dressed Girls


Tribal Prints. Nasty Barefeet. Shorts. And. Tank. Tops.
(oh, and GINGERS!)


Floral Headbands


Mass Huddles of People Who Love Each Other


Things You Tried on 15 Times at Urban Outfitters Before Deciding It Would Never Work With A Single Bra You Own


Snapbacks...


...And Tattoos


Your Friends Making Weird Ass Faces


Balloons?


Bros! And Dancing Grandlittles.


American Flag Shorts


Cutoffs


Girls Not Actually Wearing Clothes They're Supposedly Wearing


Foster's As Big As Yeh Head


Shirtless Dudes in Bandanas


Your Friends... Across a Giant Puddle of Mud


The Glowing Light from the xx from Far Far Away


THE AVETT BROTHERS


Karin Making Friends With Drunk Strangers and Helping Them Across the Triboro


And Some Of Your Favorite People On The Planet

Have you ever been to a music festival? What other ridiculous sights did you see?

2 comments: