I am happy to report that New Jersey, or at least the parts of it I see on a regular basis, is absolutely nothing like what I thought it would be. There are cute houses and pretty trees and adorable shopping centers - and absolutely none of my students are in the running to be the next Jersey Shore cast member. I've actually found all the people to be quite lovely.
There's one area that I pass by on the train that I've been wanting to spend more time in. It always looks like a picturesque little storybook town. Also, my grandmother grew up near this area, so I wanted to see the house where my father spent his childhood vacations. One sunny day, it was time to explore.
On the bus to New Jersey, I texted my dad to get his grandfather's address. I Google Mapped it to find out it's only a mile and a half from my school - sweet! Thanks iPhone! After class and my office hours, I walked down a pretty little neighborhood street, listening to my cousin's music and taking in the wind.
It was really cool to be wandering around in a neighborhood. Except for the few days I was in South Florida, I honestly can't remember the last time I was in a real, big houses, backyards neighborhood. And these were SOME HOUSES. As I approached the end of the street, I had this overwhelming feeling. I just knew I was getting close to my great grandfather's house. Apparently I had driven by this house when I was 6, and I saw a picture of it a year or so ago. But I don't think that was it. There was an air about this place. I knew it had history. My family's history. My history.
Once I saw/enjoyed/stalked the house, I made my way into the Upper Montclair town center. What a cute little area! Full of adorable shops and cafes. There were at least five stationary stores. One of my favorite things was this little alleyway that led to more stores.
But my absolute favorite part of town was this 4 screen movie theatre. I've seen it from the train a million times and I usually consider getting off and catching a film. It's just so cute! I mentioned it to my dad and he said "Was the movie theater the Bellevue? If so, your uncle stole a replica of the Bounty when Bounty on the Mutiny showed there in 196-whatever it was." Awesome.
Such a fun area to explore. I'm glad I got to play around a little bit on a workday!
(All photos personal unless otherwise credited)



No comments:
Post a Comment