Saturday, October 2, 2010

I have been a very bad little blogger lately. I apologize. Here's another quick and dirty rundown of what's been going on in my life:

- I had a cold - very exciting. That's honestly been occupying the majority of my time since the last post. It's also the reason I watched the Kentucky game at home on Saturday instead of going to a Gator-watching bar. Never fear, I'm better now, with just a few traces of a cough left.

- School is consuming my life. I feel like every time I catch up on my reading, my to-do list triples in length while I'm not looking. Being sick did NOT help this.

- I tried to study at Hungarian Pastry Shop on a Saturday morning. I do not recommend this.

- I tried to study by the Central Park pool on a Saturday afternoon. I recommend this if you are less prone to distraction than I am. I was mostly focused on wanting to steal every puppy who walked by... or bask in the beauty of the day.

My view (personal photo)

- I won a happy hour at the Irish pub in Midtown where we went for Roomie S's friend's happy hour a few weeks ago. I went with a few friends last night, and it was probably the most fun I've had in a while.

- Before the happy hour, I met up with my mom's cousin and her husband for dessert at a swanky hotel restaurant, also in Midtown. They are some of my favorite people in the world to catch up with. It was absolutely lovely. And, I learned the proper terminology for our relationship: second cousins once removed. It sounds so formal and distant. I like knowing the phrase, but I probably won't ever use it.

- I found a delicious Cuban restaurant with fresh mojitos, skirt steak sandwiches, empanadas, and sweet potato fries - all to die for. It's a little pricier than most of the places I'd like to frequent, but the atmosphere just makes me feel like I'm back in Florida.

- I got paid to walk to the subway and back. I was scheduled to work for the University of Phoenix's "Learn Anywhere. Learn Everywhere." project, part of NBC's Education Nation week. But the sign language station was outside, and it was raining, so I had a feeling it would be cancelled. I got the "come on down anyway" call and headed to the subway - only to get to 125th & St Nick and learn that the lesson was cancelled due to the rain (SURPRISE), and I would be paid anyway. Sweet deal.

- Two days later, I got to go to the Education Nation lesson, but more as a student than a teacher. Basically, Miss M and I just sat and signed to each other for a few hours to attract attention. It was great.

- It is beautiful outside. Chilly, sunny, breezy. It's lovely.

- IT'S MY BIRTH MONTH! 10 days until I turn 22! Not sure what I'm doing for the big day... probably not much since it's a Tuesday. But I do have something up my sleeve for that weekend!

- The other two first years in my program and I were hired to teach a six-week continuing education ASL course to unemployed adults at a local community college. We start on Tuesday; I'm only TAing this week, but next week I'll be the lead teacher. I am nervous, excited, overwhelmed, terrified, and ready - all at the same time.

- I made the excursion to Trader Joe's. It was everything I hoped and dreamed it would be, minus the Chips With an Identity Crisis, which were sadly missing.

- I got trash talked by several Jets fans about the Miami Dolphins. I appreciate the effort, but I don't care about pro football, nor do I care about Florida-based pro-teams. Nice try though.

- I am not really living up to my promise of doing something fun and New York-y every day. I hope to remedy this soon.

That's all for now. I promise to try to be a better blogger this month. Happy October, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment