Thursday, August 19, 2010

Couldn't Wait to Get Going

In exactly one week, I will be on a plane to New York City. Honestly, I can't believe this day is really almost here. I have so much to get done in the next seven days, not to mention a quick trip to my favorite adventure land, Walt Disney World. But I guess before I tell you where I'm going, I should tell you how I got to where I am.

I was born a nomad. Okay not really, but kind of. I lived in four houses in the first seven years of my life, before settling down in the sunny beaches of South Florida. I don't want to say that I've been dying to get out of Florida since the minute I got here... that makes it sound like I hate everything about this state. I've definitely had some wonderful experiences here, not to mention the family and friends that will keep me coming back forever. I am, however, ready to live somewhere with seasons. And buildings. And culture. And less sky.

I had an amazing four years of undergrad in the Swamp - the University of Florida, home of the Gators, who won about a million championships during my stay (not that I had anything to do with that). During my swamp years, I earned a degree in advertising - but I fell head over heels in love with American Sign Language. I decided to take the best advice I've ever heard and do what I'm passionate about for the rest of my life. Long story short, I'll be attending Columbia University for graduate school, living in Manhattan, and attempting to survive on student loans while eating somewhat healthier than ramen noodles every night.

So here it is, another displaced girl moving to the big city, telling her tale to the world. I'm pretty sure there's a law in Manhattan that requires you create a blog once you move there - I just wanted to get a head start to ward off the cyber police. So join me as I adjust to city life, fend for myself in the wild, and try to become Jane, Queen of the Concrete Jungle.

No comments:

Post a Comment